1/21/2014

Beginners guides: Pre ride checklist

Trails or waiting
Got the basics on gears covered, now before embarking on your ride a few essential things worth checking. Much like any machine with moving parts a bicycle needs regular inspection here are my pre ride checklist.
The list: Check all parts with bolts namely
Stem
Stem cap top tube
Stem plate / handlebar clamp
Brake, shifter clamp / bolts
Seat post QR or bolt clamp
Seat bolts
Brake adapter bolts
Wheels QR Allen, bolt-thru, simple qr levels

Check if the brake levers and shifters reach in preferred position

Check brakes if properly working

Wipe chain, if needed apply chain lube. Dry for all conditions, Wet for mostly damp conditions.

Check shifting by going thru the gear for the back and front rings. If skipping add or decrease tension on the shifter pod.

Check fork wipe stanchions off dust, apply a little silicone spray, wipe clean.

Check tires PSI

If running clipless apply silicone spray on pedal clips

Check spares
Tubes, tire levers, hand pump, missing link, multi-tool, chain breaker

I for one would like to just go and ride as soon as I step out of door or unbuckle my bike from my car bike rack. A day before I embark on a ride I already DID some of the items on the checklist. But it does not hurt to double check if your are going into all day rides.

Ride safe, ride hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment