3/21/2014

Bike ride: Flying Beater

F*ck yeah It's Adventure time!!!

Retro beater getting a lot of ride attention lately maiden run around the block, visit to the LBS and late afternoon ride with my Son on Baywalk. I know that going SS different but I did not expect it to be this much fun.


Pedaling requires you to stand, mash and use body movement to effectively move the 25 pound beast but when you get into your pedaling zone the bike gear ratio (46-18) propels you rapidly. Thin commuter tires, rigid fork, transfers power to the ground without much drama. As I zipped through crowd of joggers, vendors and group of strolling classic road bike enthusiast along Baywalk the speed of RB become apparent knowing that a single pothole or weary jogger might send me and the bike kissing pavement I immediately slowed down with a grin on my face. Its fast for what it is, ride compliance was also a surprise "steel is real" I guess?
RB a training tool for me to "Man up" the whole SS experience different from all creature comforts we Mountain bikers now have plus its fun getting back to basics.

For now the only thing that's keeping me from testing Retro Beater on Manila cyclist hallowed training ground (Mall of Asia) a set of new Shimano V-brakes the old Suntour XC pro effective but having only one brake (rear) stupid and scary. I wont risk RB and my limbs until new units arrive. For now Retro Beater relegated to errands and weekend family rides.

PapaHamster

No comments:

Post a Comment