1/18/2016

Hamster wheel: frustrations and change

Welcome 2016
April 2015 was the last article that I published the reason "I got bored" . Riding a bike not a new thing for me been doing it since the 80's, mountain biking however was just a three year affair..."Affair" because now I know that I'm done.

Sold my mountain bike and bough a folding bike.

Origami bikes
A bike that folds for ease in hauling, storage, majority have 16-20 inch wheels.

Braze-on for racks and other carrying accessories are standard.

Riding position relaxed, upright, some have adjustable stems for changing positions.

This bike lives in the city it could easily filter through traffic, accelerate quickly, with low stand over getting your foot down, dismounting not a problem.

Running cost low parts like v-brakes (most), drive train, rims, tires are cheap, and since most of the parts are shared with BMX crowd they are easily available.

Initial cost of purchase varies from very affordable to wallet wrecking high.

Why?
Not a mountain bike, needed a bike that could fit inside the trunk of my car, storage moving out of the big house soon, bi-modal travel.

Ernest bike
Had a lukewarm history owning GIANT branded bikes but everyone knows including the Hamster that Taiwanese bike manufacturer offerings are bombproof, and also quite a bang-for-the pesos so I went with their entry level model the FD806.
Bike with short wheelbase, Shimano 6 speed drive train, giant parts, fold able pedals, kickstand, fenders, bell, reflectors and nice shiny rear rack inside the box.

Giant FD806

Man from Manila
Upgrades are us
I love bikes, I also love making them better. Since purchasing the FD806 early December last year had already performed some upgrades, post for future installment of "Project: Hamster little friend".

Ernest "centuries" Hamster


No comments:

Post a Comment