1/06/2015

Bike ride

Removing the ego
Fairly new to this bike thing with only 3 years worth of rides under my saddle. When I started other bikers would pass me left and right, today they still do but with a little more effort. Since return to riding with the Siglo Siklistas my stamina improved the usual MOA route would usually be 3 hours long with only 20-25 km covered with lots of rest. Now the only time I stop is when I have to adjust my cycling underwear being swallowed by my huge butt.

Have developed a route which is fairly straight, covers a lot of kilometers with only two stop lights, not a lot of vehicles, and without getting in the way of roadies on morning rides.

Along the route would usually encounter other cyclist some cruising, some looking for trouble. Even if you exercise respectful overtaking some would take it as a challenge...well if in the first place you do not want to get overtaken by a 300 pound man with weird looking bike then DO NOT ride slow.
In such situations the bad hamster in me would not take this sitting down, but during such stupid pissing contest I know that I would usually lose because I am not that explosive out of the saddle, giving too much weight to power (hehe), and need to sustain stamina through out the route. So in this situation I would maintain my speed, wheel suck when they pass and let them take the blunt of the wind. In their minds they know that THEY won over a fat, weak, guy but little do they know that they cannot sustain such high output for long. And when they get gassed I continue on passing them and be on my marry way doing my laps.

Riding with different folks can teach you a lot. Specially with bikers having that "mamaw" badge, I know that I will not reach that level anytime soon but at least I won't get dropped that far.

Strava or it did not happen!

Ernest Hamster

No comments:

Post a Comment