10/22/2014

Bike ride

Used the SS beater for picking-up some stuff for EJ school activity tomorrow. Then I visited Ulyby bike shop for some part orders for the SS and EJ bike namely 20-21t sprocket because the 16t installed killing my knees, and front 12 inch plastic rim for kid bike.
Sky overcast with a hint of rain looming, light winds, ber-months riding at its best.
Trip was short but I had lots of fun. Bicycles are still the best mode of transportation in the city, instead of spending 10-15 minutes travelling by car it only took less than 8 minutes for me to arrive in my destination on Malate.

90's called


Since I installed the rear rack on the SS Beater it has been very useful, hauled boxes of shoes, car parts, gasoline container, and other light loads. SS also fun in traffic although bike ratio's leans toward heavy pedal mashing you could just do half rotation and coast besides none moving vehicles. Road oriented 1.3 inch tires are fast and the old XC ALEX rims along with fat mountain bike spokes are pretty stiff for a parts bin special. To help with sanctity of my soft knees I am increasing the rear gear to 20t-21t the 16t fine when you are all warmed up but it's a struggle when you are just starting and ending a ride. 20's are a nice compromise and I could spin and climb with less effort than smaller sprocket.

It only drives one...the simplicity striking I could just enjoy the ride, pedal, stop, pedal, coast, brake. Even when the road narrows due to traffic and you have to snake to get through the SS bike lets you focus more on what's coming and where to go efficiently. Speed is awesome and am sure that a geared bike will be much faster on almost everything but my SS bike made me smile more. Raw, unforgiving, and lots of fun, biking at its simplest form and I love it.

SS beater a rigid, 26 inch mountain bike with skinny road tires. A rigid, single speed wagon wheel bike with fat tires built for touring and trails would be sweet. And this for later...

Ernest "Hamster"


No comments:

Post a Comment